Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the correction of abnormalities and irregularities with your mouth, teeth and bite. A person’s bite is said to be improper when the upper and lower teeth do not meet together properly upon closing the mouth. This is also known as a “malocclusion.” The most common cause of this is crowded or crooked teeth.
A malocclusion may be inherited or could occur over time. Acquired malocclusions can happen due to a variety of things, such as thumb-sucking as a child, premature tooth loss, disease, obstructive tissues such as your tonsils or trauma. These can be effectively treated with the use of orthodontic appliances such as braces, which work to restore your dental features like the teeth, lips and jaw to an appropriate balance.
You may be an ideal candidate for orthodontic treatment of you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Problems with properly chewing and speaking
- Teeth that do not make proper contact on one side of your mouth
- Erupting teeth that don’t come in straight
- A tooth that frequently cuts the roof your mouth or frequently bites the inside of your cheek
Orthodontic treatment can help people of all ages and is ideal to reposition teeth that are otherwise healthy and free from gum problems. Listed below are a few advantages of orthodontic treatment:
- It helps in creating more space for permanent teeth to erupt in a crowded mouth.
- Permanent teeth can be gradually guided into proper position and alignment.
- Helps in minimizing potential damage to the jaw joints.
- Minimizes the chances of chipping and cracking of teeth caused due to bad bites.
- Fixes difficulties in speaking and eating.
- Restores the facial balance by correcting jaw growth, width of the dental arch and enabling proper lip closure.
At Atlantis Dental Care we offer:
- Clear Orthodontics Aligners
- Post-Orthodontics Treatment